Longevity depends on the chosen commercial roofing material. EPDM and TPO roofs are designed to endure harsh weather, alongside EPDM’s UV and ozone resistance preventing degradation and TPO’s blend resisting UV rays. Metal roofing, including steel, aluminum, and copper, excels due to its inherent strength and ability to withstand extreme weather, such as heavy snow and high winds.
Understanding Your Commercial Roof’s Life Expectancy
Roofs play a crucial role in protecting a building’s structure and contents. Understanding their life expectancy is essential for owners and facility managers to make informed decisions about maintenance, repairs, and replacements. But with various types of commercial roofs to consider, how can you determine how long yours will last?
Continue reading to discover your commercial roof’s life expectancy and how to get the most out of it. This article explores the following:
Different Types of Commercial Roofs and Their Longevity
A commercial roof’s life expectancy depends upon multiple variables, but the most critical determining factor is the material used. There are several types, each with its own unique properties that make them ideal for specific situations and ultimately contribute to their lifespan.
Knowing how long your roof is expected to last allows you to make informed decisions regarding repairs, replacements, and any alterations that may be needed to improve efficiency. Here are some of the most common types available and how long you can expect them to last:
- EPDM: Known as the “rubber roof,” EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a popular flat roof material. While the longevity can be slightly lower than alternative materials—lasting between 10 and 15 years on average—it is incredibly affordable.
- Modified Bitumen: Modified Bitumen is a multi-ply roofing material that lasts anywhere from 10 to 20 years. It is common among flat and low-slope roofs and absorbs heat well.
- Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles are an ideal choice for low-slope commercial roofs. They provide excellent, affordable protection and can be installed or repaired quickly. Buildings that utilize commercial shingles can expect their roofs to last at least 20 years with regular maintenance.
- Metal: Metal roofs last significantly longer than other materials and provide the most protection. While the installation process can be expensive, they last between 40 and 60 years.
- Thermoplastic roofing materials (TPO): Thermoplastic roofing materials are energy efficient and resistant to harsh weather conditions, such as pooling water, high winds, fire, and hail punctures. If regular roof inspections are conducted as scheduled, it can last a minimum of 20 years.
- PVC: Made of a thermoplastic material, PVC roofs are a robust and reliable choice for commercial flat roofs. Proper maintenance can ensure that they remain functional for 20 to 30 years.
- Built-Up Roofing: Built-up roofs utilize a combination of gravel, tar, asphalt, and sealants. With proper maintenance, they can last between 15 and 20 years.
Choosing the best type of commercial roof for your building provides efficient protection and ensures its longevity doesn’t blindside you. Learn more about the different types here!
Factors that Influence the Expected Lifespan of Commercial Roofs
Many factors contribute to the longevity of a commercial roof, from the type of materials used to the weather conditions it may be exposed to regularly. Here are some of the most notable elements that affect life expectancy.
Weather conditions significantly influence the life expectancy of commercial roofs. Prolonged exposure to sunlight and UV radiation breaks down materials, causing discoloration and weakening. Drastic temperature shifts can crack from expansion and contraction, resulting in structural damage. Additionally, excessive rain leads to water accumulation, fostering rot and mold, while snow and ice impose stress, potentially causing leaks or structural collapse. Windstorms can lift and damage roofing, and hailstorms puncture and dent surfaces, allowing water infiltration.
Regular inspections and maintenance are needed to promptly address storm damage, including missing shingles, cracks, and leaks. Applying weather-resistant coatings, ensuring proper drainage, and using robust materials can help extend the life of commercial roofs.
Regular maintenance, such as scheduled inspections and needed repairs, is essential for prolonging a commercial roof’s life. Routine checks allow experts to detect vulnerabilities early, preventing minor issues from escalating and negatively impacting your roof’s lifespan. This proactive approach safeguards against extensive damage and early replacements, ensuring your roof’s longevity in the face of challenges.
Optimizing the Life Expectancy of Your Commercial Roof
There are many ways to extend the life expectancy of your roof, regardless of the material used. You’re guaranteed to get the most out of your commercial roof by following these steps.
Ensure Proper Roof Installation
The installation process plays a crucial role in the lifespan of a commercial roof. An improperly installed roof, regardless of the roofing materials used, is likely to not last as long due to a frequent need for repairs or replacement. The best way to avoid this is by working with a trusted and experienced commercial roofing contractor.
Proactive Roof Repairs
Proactive roof repairs may seem like a hassle—especially if your building is located in a region where harsh storms occur frequently—but handling damage as quickly as possible can extend a commercial roof’s lifespan. Performing proper maintenance in a timely manner can prevent minor issues from growing into significant problems, which may prove costly in the long run.
Regular Roof Inspections and Replacement Plans
Regular inspections can help catch issues before they escalate, extending a commercial roof’s life. They should be scheduled at least once yearly, but twice is ideal. However, even regular inspections can’t make your roof last forever. When commercial roof replacements are unavoidable, planning them proactively can minimize business disruptions.
Finding the Right Roofing Contractor for Your Needs
Choosing the right roofing contractor is crucial to getting the best services. Consider factors such as experience, customer reviews, and licensing when hiring. If you’re looking for a commercial roofing contractor that checks all your boxes, consider Energy Efficient Roofing & Construction.
Get the Most Out of Your Commercial Roof With Energy Efficient Roofing & Construction
Energy Efficient Roofing & Construction is your single-source service provider for each and every type of commercial roof. With over a decade of experience, we help Texas clients maintain their commercial roofs for as long as possible. Using a combination of recurring inspections, high-quality repairs, and proper installation, our experts will keep the roof over your head dry and structurally sound for years to come.
Ready to get the most out of your commercial roof’s life expectancy? Contact us today to schedule a free inspection and discuss your roofing needs.
Share This Post
Energy Efficient Roofing & Construction is a full-service roofing and general contractor that serves the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex with top-quality labor and materials.